Montgomery Humane Society named as Top Emergency Placement Partner | News
(Feb. 12, 2013)—The Humane Society of the United States has named Montgomery Humane Society as one of its top ten Emergency Placement Partners of 2012. Emergency Placement Partners are local animal agencies that work with The HSUS to provide ongoing care and find permanent homes for animals saved during large-scale rescue missions. There are more than 200 Placement Partners nationwide.
“We are thrilled to recognize Montgomery Humane Society for its enthusiasm and dedication to helping when animals are in need,” said Michelle Cascio, manager of the Emergency Placement Program for The HSUS. “Emergency Placement Partners play a critical role in our important mission to end animal cruelty, and we are thankful to Montgomery Humane Society for being involved in this life-saving program.”
In 2012, Montgomery Humane Society assisted The HSUS with various emergency situations including shelter pets transported from disaster-impacted areas, dogfighting cases and hoarding. Just recently, The HSUS’ Animal Rescue Team was contacted to assist with a case in which the owner’s resources were dwindling and there were dozens of healthy, social cats in need. MHS stepped up to help by responding to the property and providing the cats with medical care and placement into new homes. Additional housing was constructed at the shelter to increase MHS’s capacity to support this work.
After The HSUS removes animals from cruelty situations or natural disasters and provides them the veterinary and other care they need to recover, the organization works with Emergency Placement Partners to help in their long-term placement. As local groups with access to local resources, these organizations provide the animals with continued veterinary care, rehabilitation, and ultimately, placement in new homes. The HSUS has donated equipment for the shelters as a thank you for their dedication to helping rescued animals recover and find their forever homes.
The 2012 Top Ten Emergency Placement Partners include:
- Second Chance Animal Shelter, East Brookfield, Mass.
- Humane Society of Charlotte, Charlotte, N.C.
- Virginia Beach SPCA, Virginia Beach, Va.
- Dane County Humane Society, Madison, Wis.
- Montgomery Humane Society, Montgomery, Ala.
- Southern Pines Animal Shelter, Hattiesburg, Miss.
- SPCA Albrecht Center for Animal Welfare, Aiken, S.C.
- SPCA of Wake County, Raleigh, N.C.
- Humane Society of Berks County, Reading, Pa.
- Washington Animal Rescue League, Washington, D.C.
Information Source: Humane Society of the United States
Top West Montgomery Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Montgomery to Host Alabama League of Municipalities Convention May 18 – 21
- McCarter Ave. death investigation upgraded to city's 23rd homicide of 2013
- ASU Senior Makes History - First Student to Complete Correctional Dept. Program
- Murphy USA to hold Domestic Violence Awareness event
- Montgomery Court Referral Program to hold job fair