Armed robbers target Montgomery church | News
MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA)- The Montgomery Police Department is looking for two robbery suspects accused of stealing cash at gunpoint from a church early Monday morning.
The armed robbery occurred at Maggie Street Baptist Church.
Authorities say a handful of employees were at the house of worship when the two men, one of them armed and masked, stole the money collected during Sunday's offering. Both men fled the scene on foot.
One of the church employees was struck by one of the suspects, but police say there were no injuries. Police won't say how much money was taken.
"Any kind of a robbery, in general, is a terrible thing, but especially when it happens at a church like this," said MPD spokeswoman Sgt. Regina Duckett. "This church is here for the community, and here for outreach purposes," she added. "It is obviously something we're not very proud to have happen here."
Police do not have any suspects in custody at this time and they weren't able to provide a detailed description of the robbers. If you have any information about this robbery, call CrimeStoppers at 215-STOP.
Copyright 2013 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.
Top West Montgomery Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Legislature passes bill providing additional protection to the elderly
- Montgomery County Sheriff's Office to hold Firearms Familiarization Course
- The Gathering of Eagles Welcome the Class of 2013 at Riverwalk Stadium
- Chick-fil-A Founder Selects Montgomery Team Member to Receive Chain’s Top Scholarship May 22
- Garrett Elementary holds end of year Teacher Appreciation and Field Day
- Legislature passes bill granting in-state tuition to armed forces members
- Weekend shooting ends with Montgomery's 24th homicide of 2013
- Alabama woman sentenced to 4 years in prison in stolen identity refund fraud scheme
- Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts Hosts Double Exhibition Opening on Friday, June 14, 2013
- Father Purcell Memorial Exceptional Children's Center
- City of Prattville to Observe Memorial Day
- 3 old wooden bridges to be replaced in Autauga Co. at cost of $1.3 million
- City hosts 2nd Annual Memorial Day Fun Event - Pratt Pool Goes Retro for a Day!
- Man arrested after Prattville road rage leads to shooting
- Old Farm Lane in Prattville will be Closed Sunday for Utility Relocation