ASU names Ramsey defensive coordinator | News
MONTGOMERY, AL- Kevin Ramsey has been named Alabama State defensive coordinator, head football Reggie Barlow announced.
Ramsey joins the Hornets from SWAC rival Texas Southern University, where he spent nearly four seasons with the program. He served in the same capacity for the Tigers from 2009-10, and during most of the 2012 season, after a stint as interim head coach in 2011. Ramsey's Tigers led the FCS in total defense in both 2010 (204.9 ypg allowed) and 2011 (245.0 ypg allowed), and in fewest first downs allowed (140 in 2010, 141 in 2011).
His 2010 squad led the nation in six statistical categories: total defense, fewest first downs allowed, sacks (45), tackles for loss (112), lowest third down percentage allowed (22.5) and pass efficiency defense (78.9).
Prior to Texas Southern, Ramsey spent five seasons as defensive coordinator at Carson-Newman (2004-08), where his units ranked in the top 20 in several national categories each season.
Ramsey began his coaching career at Kansas State (1984-85) as a graduate assistant and junior varsity defensive coordinator at Mission High School in Mission, Texas (1986) before coaching at some of the nation's biggest schools - Kansas State (1987-89, outside linebackers), Northwestern (1990-92, defensive line/defensive backs), West Virginia (1993-94, defensive backs), Tennessee (1995-98, defensive backs), Georgia (1999, defensive coordinator) and Michigan State (2000, defensive backs).
Ramsey, who participated in NFL coaching internships with the Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bears and Philadelphia Eagles, coached three seasons as secondary coach for the Arizona Cardinals (2000-02) before returning to the college ranks at Arizona State in 2003.
Teams that Ramsey has coached have been to a number of bowl games including the Outback Bowl with Georgia in 2000, the Carquest Bowl in 1995 and Sugar Bowl in 1994 with Big East Champion West Virginia and two trips to the Citrus Bowl in 1996 and 1997, the Orange Bowl in 1998 and the Fiesta Bowl National Championship Game with Tennessee in January of 1999.
"Hiring Kevin was huge for our program," Barlow said. "Here's a guy who has coached on all levels. He has had much success at all stops. He has coordinated an SEC defense, and he was on a staff that has won a national championship. He brings an aggressive brand of football to Hornet Nation, and we're excited to have him."
Ramsey was a three-time All-Missouri Valley pick at defensive back while playing at Indiana State from 1980-83. He was a second team All-American as a senior and also played baseball for the Sycamores. He graduated from Indiana State with a degree in Physical Education in 1984.
INFORMATION SOURCE: Alabama State University Athletics Dept.
Top West Montgomery Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Legislature passes bill providing additional protection to the elderly
- Montgomery County Sheriff's Office to hold Firearms Familiarization Course
- The Gathering of Eagles Welcome the Class of 2013 at Riverwalk Stadium
- Chick-fil-A Founder Selects Montgomery Team Member to Receive Chain’s Top Scholarship May 22
- Garrett Elementary holds end of year Teacher Appreciation and Field Day
- Club Blaze's license revoked by the Montgomery City Council
- Legislature passes bill granting in-state tuition to armed forces members
- Weekend shooting ends with Montgomery's 24th homicide of 2013
- Alabama woman sentenced to 4 years in prison in stolen identity refund fraud scheme
- Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts Hosts Double Exhibition Opening on Friday, June 14, 2013
- City of Prattville to Observe Memorial Day
- 3 old wooden bridges to be replaced in Autauga Co. at cost of $1.3 million
- City hosts 2nd Annual Memorial Day Fun Event - Pratt Pool Goes Retro for a Day!
- Man arrested after Prattville road rage leads to shooting
- Old Farm Lane in Prattville will be Closed Sunday for Utility Relocation