MFD investigating fatal house fire | News
MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA)- The Montgomery Fire Department is investigating after a house fire turned fatal Friday afternoon in West Montgomery.
Firefighters responded to the fire on Drake Street where reports indicated a person was trapped inside. Neighbors told WSFA 12 News they tried to help until firefighters arrived.
"I took off, I tried to kick in the door. I was trying to get in, but all the smoke came in my mouth," said Batavia Chisholm, a neighbor who knew the victim. "I had to come back out, you know what I'm saying."
Crews worked to extinguish the flames coming from the roof of the small, pink house. Once the flames were extinguished, authorities found the victim's remains in the room where the fire originated.
"I'm hurt because everyone out here in the neighborhood considered her as a mother, a grandmother," Batavia Chisholm said. "She"'s a good Christian lady."
No fire department personnel were injured.
The victim has not been identified at this time, nor has the cause of the blaze been determined.
WSFA 12 News will have more information as it becomes available.
Copyright 2012 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.
Top West Montgomery Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Montgomery woman sentenced to 10 years in prison for identity fraud tax refund scam
- Senate passes CAP Congressional Gold Medal bill
- MPS calls special meeting to accept the resignation of an employee TODAY
- SUV overturns on Union Street
- Legislature passes bill providing additional protection to the elderly
- Develop nerves of steel with Kevin Elko on May 29
- Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office now accepting applications for Citizens Police Academy
- Club Blaze's license revoked by the Montgomery City Council
- Legislature passes bill granting in-state tuition to armed forces members
- Weekend shooting ends with Montgomery's 24th homicide of 2013
- Autauga County search linked to Prattville police chase
- City of Prattville to Observe Memorial Day
- 3 old wooden bridges to be replaced in Autauga Co. at cost of $1.3 million
- City hosts 2nd Annual Memorial Day Fun Event - Pratt Pool Goes Retro for a Day!
- Man arrested after Prattville road rage leads to shooting