Editorial: Lacking Leadership | News
MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA)- There was quite a spectacle at last Friday's Montgomery County Board of Education meeting. As the meeting was about to conclude it was disclosed that the President of the school board had circulated a letter to local elected officials, unbeknownst to the other school board members, calling for a state takeover of the Montgomery Public School system and that an interim superintendent be appointed.
The objective of any School Board should be to establish goals and standards; assess and account for progress and to continuously improve. Effective school board members should exhibit a strong commitment to working with others on the board toward the common goal of providing the best possible education for the children in the community.
You are failing miserably on the "strong commitment to working with others on the board" aspect of the job. This has to change as it has become an embarrassment and a sideshow to what's most important – working together cooperatively to improve our schools.
Our children, our Montgomery Public School system and our community cannot afford for the dysfunction to continue a moment longer. If things don't improve then don't be surprised come voting time when ballots are cast for someone other than you.
Copyright 2012 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.
Top West Montgomery Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Legislature passes bill providing additional protection to the elderly
- Montgomery County Sheriff's Office to hold Firearms Familiarization Course
- The Gathering of Eagles Welcome the Class of 2013 at Riverwalk Stadium
- Chick-fil-A Founder Selects Montgomery Team Member to Receive Chain’s Top Scholarship May 22
- Garrett Elementary holds end of year Teacher Appreciation and Field Day
- Club Blaze's license revoked by the Montgomery City Council
- Legislature passes bill granting in-state tuition to armed forces members
- Weekend shooting ends with Montgomery's 24th homicide of 2013
- Alabama woman sentenced to 4 years in prison in stolen identity refund fraud scheme
- Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts Hosts Double Exhibition Opening on Friday, June 14, 2013
- City of Prattville to Observe Memorial Day
- 3 old wooden bridges to be replaced in Autauga Co. at cost of $1.3 million
- City hosts 2nd Annual Memorial Day Fun Event - Pratt Pool Goes Retro for a Day!
- Man arrested after Prattville road rage leads to shooting
- Old Farm Lane in Prattville will be Closed Sunday for Utility Relocation