Hunting College & Carver High School sign unity partnership | News
Students at Huntington College and Carver High School will soon share more than Fairview Avenue, thanks to a unique partnership aimed at promoting unity.
Earlier today, Carver High School Principal Gary Hall and Huntingdon College President J. Cameron West signed the “Creating Unity in the Community” partnership agreement, which will create opportunities for students of both schools to interact and learn from one another through track and field.
“I’m pleased that these schools are connecting in a meaningful way,” said Superintendent Barbara Thompson. “It’s an opportunity for students at both schools to show our community that unity can be achieved by getting to know one another, sharing what makes us unique, celebrating our diversity and working together to create lifelong learners.”
"Huntingdon, in its 159th year, is as committed as ever to the core of our mission, which is outreach—mainly to the people of Alabama," said President West. “We are grateful to Principal Hall and to all in the Carver High School family who made this partnership possible. Huntingdon and Carver are located on the same corridor in the community, and working together for the good of our students will improve our institutions as it improves our students' lives."
Under the terms of the agreement, Huntingdon College will lease the Carver High track for $50,000 for two years. Principal Hall said the agreement goes beyond a simple rental contract. It offers real opportunities for students of the two schools to connect.
“We’ve always had a good relationship with Huntingdon and have shared facilities in the past, but this is the first time we’ve connected around the theme of unity,” said Hall. “This partnership goes beyond the track and will include mentoring student athletes and possibly tutoring in the future. It is my hope that this agreement will unite both our schools and expose our young people to experiences that will enrich their lives.”
Source: Montgomery Public Schools
Top West Montgomery Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Legislature passes bill providing additional protection to the elderly
- Montgomery County Sheriff's Office to hold Firearms Familiarization Course
- The Gathering of Eagles Welcome the Class of 2013 at Riverwalk Stadium
- Chick-fil-A Founder Selects Montgomery Team Member to Receive Chain’s Top Scholarship May 22
- Garrett Elementary holds end of year Teacher Appreciation and Field Day
- Club Blaze's license revoked by the Montgomery City Council
- Legislature passes bill granting in-state tuition to armed forces members
- Weekend shooting ends with Montgomery's 24th homicide of 2013
- Alabama woman sentenced to 4 years in prison in stolen identity refund fraud scheme
- Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts Hosts Double Exhibition Opening on Friday, June 14, 2013
- City of Prattville to Observe Memorial Day
- 3 old wooden bridges to be replaced in Autauga Co. at cost of $1.3 million
- City hosts 2nd Annual Memorial Day Fun Event - Pratt Pool Goes Retro for a Day!
- Man arrested after Prattville road rage leads to shooting
- Old Farm Lane in Prattville will be Closed Sunday for Utility Relocation