Deal secured to demolish old Sears building | Business
MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA) - The old Sears building at the corner of Court Street and Fairview Avenue in Montgomery will be gone within 60 days, according to the City of Montgomery. A deal is now in place to demolish the building, and it won't cost the city any cash.
Steve Jones with the City says all proposals have been reviewed and demolition of the eyesore will be handled by National Salvage Company. Demolition should begin withing the next two weeks and is scheduled to take no more than 60 days to complete.
Jones says National Salvage Co. will take a landfill credit valued at $112,000 as payment for the job.
The city has lofty dreams of eventually transforming the lot into a residential area with a park and community garden. But says the building will have to come down first.
Top West Montgomery Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Montgomery to Host Alabama League of Municipalities Convention May 18 – 21
- McCarter Ave. death investigation upgraded to city's 23rd homicide of 2013
- ASU Senior Makes History - First Student to Complete Correctional Dept. Program
- Murphy USA to hold Domestic Violence Awareness event
- Montgomery Court Referral Program to hold job fair